MIXED HONEY NUT BRITTLE
Snack / Dessert
About this Recipe
Honey is a delicious and nutritious sweet treat that contains healing properties, claiming that it can prevent cancer and heart disease, reduce ulcers, ease digestive problems, regulate blood sugar, soothe coughs and sore throats, and increase athletic performance. By combining it with heart healthy nuts you can create a delicious brittle which is a delicious snack on it’s own or the perfect ice-cream partner.
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds, cashews and macadamia roughly chopped (you could use any nuts)
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp raw sesame seeds
- 3/4 cups raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Spread nuts and pumpkin seeds on a large rimmed parchment-lined baking sheet; bake for 7 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds over almonds and pumpkin seeds. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes more, until sesame seeds are golden, watching so as not to scorch seeds. Cool completely on sheet. Reserve baking sheet with parchment.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine honey, coconut sugar and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer on medium; cook until mixture reaches 275°F on a candy thermometer. (TIP: When syrup is dropped into ice water, it will form rigid threads.) Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla and salt. Once butter melts, return to heat; simmer until it reaches 300°F. (TIP: At this point, liquid will separate into hard, brittle threads when dropped into ice water.) Remove from heat; stir in nuts and seeds.
3. Pour honey-nut mixture onto parchment-lined sheet, forming a 9 x 12-inch slab. Cool completely on sheet, 30 to 40 minutes. Break into 32 pieces (roughly 2-inch squares).